Monday, September 21, 2009

See How They Run


So yes, I have redecorated a little... Nice of you to notice. Come on in, have a seat... kick your shoes off, stay a while. I hope you like what I have done with the place.
So now that you are comfortable, I have been meaning to tell you about something for a rather long time. It is something that I came across while I was in Oklahoma a few weeks back.
It is a story, a true story, of a son's dream and a father's love. Many of you have probably already heard of this story before and if you have, feel free to click on to the next blog.... but for those of you who haven't, I hope you have a few minutes to stick around and have your heart blessed.
This story is about Dick and Rick, father and son. I do not personally know these men, I have actually never even seen them in person. Yet, both of them have touched my heart so deeply and profoundly affected the way I look at the world around me.
Rick and Dick are a team... one for all and all for one. Over the past 30 years, Rick and Dick Hoyt have completed over a thousand races together. They have done half marathons, marathons, triathlons, and even several ironmans! That is an amazing feat... even for the strongest of men. But the fact that they have competed in so many races is not what makes this team so remarkable. It is how they competed.
You see, Rick was born a spastic quadriplegic. He can not walk. He can not talk. But through the love and the legs of his father, he can run. Dick, a 67 year old retired marine from Massachusetts has carried, pushed and pulled his 47 year old son over thousands of miles because Rick loves it... because while he is competing, Rick does not feel disabled. The two of them have been an inspiration to hundreds of thousands of people across the world. They have exemplified what is truly possible. What dreams are made of.
If you like what you have read so far, click here to watch a clip of their story. I encourage each of you to take a look... believe me, it can change your perspective just as it did mine.
Seeing their story has really made me think about what I can accomplish if I just dedicate myself to it. What anyone can accomplish with just a little belief, commitment, and a dream.


Marvalous miles to you all!!




7 comments:

  1. Oh, I've read about them before and each time I do, it puts tears in my eyes. Like right now. Such amazing father/son love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an amazing story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! And I was worried about a little 4 race series??? Shame on me! Thank you for posting such an amazing story of courage and perserverence!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havr heard their story. Very inspiring indeed. Actually, it was more than inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo la la! I love the new look, very sleek!

    I've heard of this team before, but every time that I hear it, it always still inpires me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you google them, there is a video or news story that will melt the heart of anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi , new to your blog! The Hoyts are so incredibly inspiring! I agree with NY Wolve, that video is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your witty, fabulous, and intellectual Comment!
XOXO,
Katie